Murdered Banker Andree Bejjani Found Naked on Kitchen Floor; Hotel Worker Charged
NEW YORK (CBS/AP) On Saturday, a maid found the naked body of Andree "Sara" Bejjani on the kitchen floor of the high-powered businesswoman's luxury Manhattan condo. Bejjani was face down. Her throat had been slashed and an exercise rope was wrapped around her neck, though police said it did not appear to be a factor in her death.
Now, Derrick Praileu, a housekeeping manager at Jumeriah Essex House, a 44-story art deco tower featuring hundreds of posh rooms, has been charged with her murder.
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly says it doesn't appear the two had a "previous relationship."
The Manhattan hotel, which is near Broadway and upscale Fifth Avenue shops such as Tiffany & Co. and Bergdorf Goodman, said in a statement on Sunday that an employee had been arrested in Bejjani's death.
"Our sincere condolences go out to the victim's family, and we have offered our full support during this difficult time," the statement read.
The Lebanese-born woman was the founder of Royal Investments LLC, an investment firm based in Dubai, and specialized in advising wealthy Arab investors, according to the New York Daily News. She leased the condo and had been there since August.
Praileu was held without bail following his arraignment Sunday on a second-degree murder charge. His lawyer declined to comment to the Associated Press.
More At The New York Daily News
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"