WSJ: Hackers Penetrate NASDAQ Computers
However, the trading platform wasn't compromised, people familiar with the matter told WSJ.
Investigators think unlawful financial gain, theft of trade secrets or a national-security threat designed to damage the exchange could be reasons for the penetrations.
"So far, [the perpetrators] appear to have just been looking around," one person involved in the Nasdaq matter told WSJ.
Sources familiar with the matter told WSJ that the Secret Service started investigating the attempts about a year ago.
Authorities have yet to identify any trail, specific individual or country associated with the incidents.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- Microsoft slashes Surface prices to lure buyers
- Have you mastered the art of listening?
- Look who doesn't deserve financial aid at NYU
- Fed says it will continue $85B in bond purchases
- Chrysler expected to make Jeep recall refusal official
- 6 things that feel productive, but aren't