AOL, Equity Firms Exploring Bid for Yahoo
Yahoo Inc. could be bought by AOL Inc. and several private equity firms if a reported proposal possibility is actually carried out and approved.
Discussions about a formal buyout proposal include the firms, AOL executives and financial advisers but don't yet include Yahoo, The Wall Street Journal reported on its website ($) Wednesday night.
The newspaper named two firms -- Silver Lake Partners and Blackstone Group LP -- that "have expressed interest" in partnering with AOL to buy Yahoo or take the company private. People familiar with the proposal discussions told the Journal that at least two other firms might also express an interest in joining in; however, those sources emphasized that the possibility could fizzle out before Yahoo is even approached for a deal.
The newspaper contacted spokeswomen for AOL and Yahoo. They declined to comment. Blackstone also declined to comment. Silver Lake couldn't be reached for comment on the story.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Forbes names most powerful women 2013 10 Photos
- Rent the cake? Unusual tips to cut your wedding bill
- Student loan defaults rising despite a way out
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- How to organize your job hunt