Did Evan Bayh "Hate" Liberals?
CBS News chief political consultant Marc Ambinder said that Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) who announced Monday that he would not run for reelection this November, "hates" liberals in his own party and "essentially he is blaming liberals in his own party for making bipartisanship unpopular."
"Evan Bayh has had a very complex relationship with liberals in his party and quite frankly has grown to hate them over the past several years because he thinks that they have increased the cost of negotiating with Republicans," Ambinder told moderator Nancy Cordes on Monday's "Washington Unplugged."
Ambinder explained that Bayh feels his these liberals are "making it more difficult for the house leadership and the Senate leadership to even make gestures and overtures on their own accord."
Also, on Unplugged today, CBS News national security correspondent David Martin could not stress enough how important the capture of Taliban leader Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar was for the war on terror.
"He is a big catch and what makes it doubly big is that it happened in Pakistan after years of the Pakistanis saying there are no Taliban leaders here," Martin said.
He did explain that "most people do not expect him to spill the beans all that quickly" and that U.S. Officials are not privy to his interrogation since it is being carried out by Pakistani forces.
"Just getting him off the battlefield and into a prison is a major development in the war in Afghanistan because this mullah was the top commander of the Taliban fighters," he explained.
Watch both interviews above.
"Washington Unplugged" appears live on CBSNews.com each weekday at 12:30 p.m. ET. Click here to check out previous episodes.
Popular in Politics
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 434 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor 118 Comments
- Obama to view Oklahoma tornado damage Sunday
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- Will tornado relief funding escape politics?
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 219 Comments