Sarah Palin Calls Family Guy Joke a "Kick in the Gut"
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is continuing to use her high profile to bring attention to instances of misuse of the word "retarded" and disparaging portrayals of the mentally challenged.
(AP Photo/Ed Reinke)
Early today, Palin responded on Facebook to an episode of the Fox television show "Family Guy" that poked fun at Palin, whose son has Down Syndrome. The episode (you can watch a clip of it here) features a mentally challenged character who says her mother is the former governor of Alaska.
Palin said the episode "felt like another kick in the gut." She provided a statement from her oldest daughter Bristol, who wrote, "Shouldn't we be willing to say that some things just are not funny? Are there any limits to what some people will do or say in regards to my little brother or others in the special needs community?"
Earlier this month, Palin said that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel should be fired for an incident in which he referred to a group of liberals as "F-ing retarded." However, when conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh repeatedly used the word "retard" in a pejorative manner on his radio show, Palin chided the incident but on "Fox News Sunday" this week dismissed it as satire. She also refrained from asking her ally Texas Gov. Rick Perry to fire his top campaign consultant for demeaning use of the word.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 429 Comments
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 170 Comments
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 120 Comments
- Senate committee approves immigration bill
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado 84 Comments
- Former IRS chief: "I can't say" what led to IRS targeting
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1185 Comments
- IRS scandal highlights leadership vacancies