David Paterson's Office Denies Any "Bombshell"
Updated at 1:50 p.m. ET
(AP Photo/Tim Roske, File)
New York Gov. David Paterson's office is rebuffing rumors and speculation about an upcoming New York Times article about the governor, claiming there will be no "bombshell" about Paterson, and that he has no intention of resigning.
Paterson has supposedly been cooperating with the New York Times on an upcoming profile, but other media outlets have reported the story will expose information about the governor that would seriously damage his election chances. "We hear they are definitely coming up with something big about the Paterson administration," New York Magazine wrote, alluding to rumors of an extra-marital affair and incidents involving state troopers at the governor's mansion.
However, Paterson's deputy communications director Marissa Shorenstein gave Gawker a flat-out "No" when asked whether there would be any controversial revelations in the New York Times article. Furthermore, she denied a report from Business Insider that the governor would resign upon the article's release.
"There is absolutely zero truth to these rumors," Shorenstein said. "The governor is not resigning."
Paterson met with Democratic leaders over the weekend about his campaign plans, but his campaign said the meetings had nothing to do with the rumors of his impending resignation.
The governor has so far resisted pressure from the White House to drop out of New York's 2010 gubernatorial race.
Update: Paterson will sit down with the New York Times for an interview tomorrow, Ben Smith of Politico reports.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 119 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 210 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen.
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 128 Comments
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 142 Comments