John Edwards: Rielle Hunter's Daughter is Mine (Statement)
Former Democratic presidential and vice presidential nominee John Edwards put out a statement this morning admitting that he is the father of the child he had with Rielle Hunter, a videographer he hired before his running for president in 2008.
Edwards initially denied that he was the father of the child, whose name is Frances Quinn Hunter.
Andrew Young, a former Edwards aide who initially claimed paternity, will be releasing a book on February 2nd discussing the scandal.
Here's Edwards' statement, which was released to the Associated Press this morning, in full:
I am Quinn's father. I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves. I have been able to spend time with her during the past year and trust that future efforts to show her the love and affection she deserves can be done privately and in peace.
It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me. I have been providing financial support for Quinn and have reached an agreement with her mother to continue providing support in the future.
To all those I have disappointed and hurt, these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry.
John R. Edwards
MORE: Click here to read CBSNews.com's full story on Edwards' admission.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 106 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 106 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror?
- Obama announces steps toward Guantanamo closure
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare