Jennifer Hudson to Perform at State Dinner
Update 3:55 p.m. ET
(AP Photo/Dan Steinberg, file)
CBS News has confirmed that Jennifer Hudson will perform at the State Dinner that President Obama is hosting tonight in honor of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Hudson rose to fame on "American Idol" in 2004, but is also known for her role in the movie "Dreamgirls" in 2006 -- which led to her winning an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
She previously sang the national anthem at the Democratic National Convention in Denver last year. Like the Obamas, the 28-year-old is from Chicago.
The dinner is scheduled to begin at 8:15 p.m. ET in a large tent on the South Lawn of the White House.
The first lady's office has released the full list of performers, in addition to Hudson:
• Critically-acclaimed jazz vocalist Kurt Elling. The Chicago-based singer is an eight-time Grammy nominee.
• A.R. Rahman. The Indian film composer has won numerous awards for his music, including two Academy Awards for his score of the movie Slumdog Millionaire.
• National Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Marvin Hamlisch. One of the country's top composers, Hamlisch has been awarded an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, a Tony, a Pulitzer Prize and a Golden Globe.
• U.S. Marine Corps Band, the oldest professional musical organization in the United States.
Compare this Menu to Other Obama Dinners
Mark Knoller: Obama Prepares for First State Dinner
Nancy Cordes and Laura Schwartz Preview the Festivities on "The Early Show"
Complete Coverage of the Event
Popular in Politics
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 453 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor 118 Comments
- Obama to view Oklahoma tornado damage Sunday
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Will tornado relief funding escape politics? 47 Comments
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 219 Comments