Madonna: Calling Obama a Muslim meant to be "ironic"
(CBS News) Madonna has clarified that when she referred to President Obama as a Muslim during a performance Monday night, it was just part of her act.
At a concert in Washington, D.C. on Monday, the pop star told her audience, "Y'all better vote for f******g Obama, OK? For better or for worse, we have a black Muslim in the White House. That's some amazing s**t. It means there is hope in this country."
Through her spokeswoman, Madonna released a statement explaining her remarks: "I was being ironic on stage. Yes I know Obama is not a Muslim (though I know that plenty of people in this country think he is.) And what if he were? The point I was making is that a good man is a good man no matter who he prays to. I don't care what religion Obama is - nor should anyone else in America"
The Pew Research Center reported in July that as many as 17 percent of registered voters incorrectly believe Mr. Obama is a Muslim. Just under half correctly identified the president as Christian.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 96 Comments
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 100 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 101 Comments
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Could the GOP pull an upset in Mass. senate race?