Trump: Obama a "Teflon" president
"You know, he gets the greatest press of anybody that I think I've ever seen," Trump said of the president, speaking at the convocation at Liberty University, a Christian college founded by Jerry Falwell. "You talk about Teflon. I've never seen anything like it. I heard somebody saying the other day that he's an expert on foreign policy. He went over to Cairo, Egypt and made a speech, Mubarak was overthrown, and now they hate us."
Trump, who flirted with a presidential bid himself before endorsing Mitt Romney's candidacy, argued that aside from "the biggies" - "you know, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, we had a couple of biggies, right?" - this election is "going to be the most important election that we've ever had."
In fact, he argued, this election "maybe more important than them."
"If this country doesn't shape up and shape up quickly it's going to be very, very hard to recover," he said, targeting Mr. Obama's foreign policy record. "There's never been a time in our country's history where a presidential election was more important, because our country is going in the wrong direction."
Trump argued that the dollar is "being devalued" and that the "world is laughing at us, they think we're stupid." He argued that America has the potential to achieve great things - such as, he said, Liberty University has.
"I've seen where you came from and how it was a struggle and how brilliant it is right now," he said. "Our country has the same potential if we ever wanted to do something about it."
Popular in Politics
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 162 Comments
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 327 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 346 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 262 Comments
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 243 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 416 Comments