Secret Service gun inadvertently left in Romney plane lavatory
The weapon, presumably left behind in the bathroom by accident, was discovered by a CBS News/National Journal reporter, who alerted a flight attendant about the gun. A member of the Secret Service on board the plane was informed and retrieved the gun.
Romney has traveled with Secret Service protection since early February and has an armed detail assigned to him at all times. His wife, Ann, was just assigned her own detail - albeit a smaller one - last Friday.
Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan told CBS News/National Journal in a statement: "We are aware of the incident. We take the care and custody of our equipment, especially firearms, very seriously. We will deal with this matter internally and in an appropriate manner."
Popular in Politics
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Immigration bill would require fingerprinting at 30 airports
- Top Obama officials knew about IRS probe, says WH
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 684 Comments
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 470 Comments
- Both parties vow to "get to the bottom" of IRS scandal 277 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 211 Comments
- Benghazi-disciplined diplomat a prolific poet