Obama visits Olympic Training Center, brags about socks
During his visit, he met with Paralympics swimmer Michael Prout who won two medals in the 2004 Athens Olympics and is about to head to London for this year's Paralympic Games.
He also gave "a special shout out to the women's soccer team today avenging the loss in the World Cup" after the team beat Japan, 2-1, in the Olympic final. He also congratulated the women's water polo team on their gold medal victory.
Later, the president stopped by a wrestling gym, where he removed his shoes to walk onto the mat and talk to a team of young cadet wrestlers.
"This looks like a pretty young crew," he said. "You know, for wrestlers you smell pretty good."
Afterward, as he was putting his shoes back on, CBS News' Peter Maer quipped, "Very presidential, sir."
"I want to point out: no holes in my socks," the president joked. "My grandmother would be proud."
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- The Ted Cruz conundrum
- Petraeus biographer regrets affair
- As summer approaches, sequestration threatens holiday fun
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 200 Comments
- Senator: Oklahoma "hit hard, but we're not knocked out"
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Obama prom pictures surface