Romney raises $101 million in July; outraises Obama for third straight month
Updated 9:45 a.m. ET
(CBS News) Mitt Romney's campaign and a joint fundraising committee with the Republican National Committee raised a combined $101.3 million during July, the Romney campaign announced Monday. This is the second consecutive month that Romney has raised more than $100 million in a month, having first broken his own monthly fundraising record in June by bringing in $106 million.
And, for the third month in a row, the Obama campaign was outraised by his Republican rival. The Obama campaign brought in $75 million last month, the campaign announced via Twitter.
Reporting back on last month's fundraising numbers: In July, 761,000 people donated to raise over $75 million for this campaign. Thank you.-- Barack Obama (@BarackObama) August 6, 2012
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus responded to the Romney camp's robust fundraising saying, "Americans are clearly looking for a change in the White House."
"Mitt Romney has a plan that will create jobs, grow the economy, and build a stronger middle class - that is why he is seeing such strong support," said Priebus in his written statement.
Romney has had to play catch-up to Barack Obama, who had the luxury of being able to raise and spend directly against Romney while his Republican rival spent the better part of a year running for his party's nomination and spending against his intraparty opponents. But since he became the presumptive nominee in April, Romney has been able to work with the RNC and they have been on a fundraising tear.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 86 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 89 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong"