Romney, RNC react to Obama's comments on his biggest mistake
Mitt Romney and Republicans were quick to react to comments President Obama made Thursday in an interview with CBS News' Charlie Rose.
Reflecting on his first years in office, Mr. Obama said that his biggest mistake has been putting policy over storytelling.
"When I ran everybody asked, well he can give a good speech, but can he actually manage the job? And in my first two years, I think the notion was, he's been juggling and managing a lot of stuff, but where's the story that tells us where he's going?" he said.
Watch an excerpt of Rose's interview with the Obamas in the video to the left.
"I think that was a legitimate criticism."
In response, Romney criticized the president's leadership.
"President Obama believes that millions of Americans have lost their homes, their jobs and their livelihood because he failed to tell a good story. Being president is not about telling stories. Being president is about leading, and President Obama has failed to lead. No wonder Americans are losing faith in his presidency," he said in a statement.
A spokesperson for the Republican National Committee was also quick to pounce on Mr. Obama's comments, telling reporters in an emailed statement, "With 23 million people struggling under our slow economy, the decision for voters isn't 'can the president tell a good story,' it's 'can the president create jobs.'"
For more of the interview with President and Mrs. Obama, watch "CBS Sunday Morning" this Sunday, July 15, and "CBS This Morning" on Monday, July 16.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 437 Comments
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 140 Comments
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1215 Comments
- Will tornado relief funding escape politics?
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 183 Comments