Restaurant owner dies shortly after meeting Obama
(CBS News) Josephine "Ann" Harris, the owner of "Ann's Place" restaurant in Akron, Ohio, died of an apparent heart attack hours after meeting President Obama this morning, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.
Harris, 70, hugged the president when he visited her restaurant this morning as part of his "Betting on America" bus tour through Ohio and Pennsylvania. She was photographed alongside the president during his visit, as you can see below. (Harris is in the center.)
Harris' sister Frankie Adkins told the newspaper that Harris "loved Obama." Adkins said the visit would have been a "highlight" for Harris, who had reportedly been "ecstatic" about the president's visit when she spoke to a reporter Friday morning.
Mr. Obama stopped into the restaurant and had breakfast with three Goodyear Tire employees around 8:30 a.m.; Harris was reportedly pronounced dead at 11:18 a.m.
Speaking aboard Air Force One late Friday, White House Spokesman Jay Carney told reporters that Mr. Obama extends his sorrow and condolences to Harris' family. He said the president phoned Harris' daughter Wilma Parsons after hearing the news.
"He was honored to meet her this morning and passed on his feelings that the whole family is in his thoughts and prayers today," Carney said.
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- Obama prom pictures surface 130 Comments
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 156 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 283 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 131 Comments
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones