Restaurant owner dies shortly after meeting Obama
(CBS News) Josephine "Ann" Harris, the owner of "Ann's Place" restaurant in Akron, Ohio, died of an apparent heart attack hours after meeting President Obama this morning, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.
Harris, 70, hugged the president when he visited her restaurant this morning as part of his "Betting on America" bus tour through Ohio and Pennsylvania. She was photographed alongside the president during his visit, as you can see below. (Harris is in the center.)
Harris' sister Frankie Adkins told the newspaper that Harris "loved Obama." Adkins said the visit would have been a "highlight" for Harris, who had reportedly been "ecstatic" about the president's visit when she spoke to a reporter Friday morning.
Mr. Obama stopped into the restaurant and had breakfast with three Goodyear Tire employees around 8:30 a.m.; Harris was reportedly pronounced dead at 11:18 a.m.
Speaking aboard Air Force One late Friday, White House Spokesman Jay Carney told reporters that Mr. Obama extends his sorrow and condolences to Harris' family. He said the president phoned Harris' daughter Wilma Parsons after hearing the news.
"He was honored to meet her this morning and passed on his feelings that the whole family is in his thoughts and prayers today," Carney said.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 126 Comments
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1201 Comments
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado 86 Comments
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 172 Comments