Just 1 in 3 knows Obama is a Christian
(CBS News) Only about one in three Americans can correctly identify President Obama as a Christian, according to a new Gallup poll.
Thirty-four percent identified Mr. Obama as Christian, Protestant or a related denomination - Baptist, Methodist or United Church of Christ. Eleven percent said wrongly that the president is Muslim, including 18 percent of Republicans, 12 percent of independents and 3 percent of Democrats.
Eight percent of Americans said Mr. Obama has no religion. Forty-four percent said they did not know.
Before becoming president, Mr. Obama attended the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago - where controversial pastor Jeremiah Wright was senior pastor until 2008. He has attended different Christian churches while in office.
In an earlier Pew poll, 57 percent of Americans correctly identified presumptive Republican presidential nominee's religion as Mormon. Eighteen percent said they would not vote for a well-qualified Mormon to be president.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 119 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 244 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen.
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 130 Comments
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms