Mary Cheney marries longtime partner
(CBS News) Mary Cheney and longtime partner Heather Poe were married Friday in Washington, D.C., CBS News has confirmed.
"Mary and Heather have been in a committed relationship for many years, and we are delighted that they were able to take advantage of the opportunity to have that relationship recognized," Mary's parents, former vice president Dick Cheney and his wife Lynne, said in a statement.
The newlyweds have two children - a 5 year old son Samuel and a 2 year old daughter Sarah- and live together in Virginia.
"Mary and Heather and their children are very important and much loved members of our family and we wish them every happiness," the Cheneys' statement reads.
Their second daughter has been openly gay throughout her father's political career, also encouraging the former vice president's 2009 public endorsement of same-sex marriage.
Cheney wrote about coming out to her parents in her biography, "Now It's My Turn." She said her father's reaction was, "you're my daughter and I love you and I just want you to be happy," the same sentiment expressed in his statement today.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 284 Comments
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 359 Comments
- FBI seeks anonymous source behind Menendez allegations
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 255 Comments
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 219 Comments
- Obama: I didn't know about IRS report 609 Comments
- House GOP to vote on Obamacare repeal - Vol. 37 935 Comments