Obama: Secret Service agents involved in scandal "knuckleheads"
President Obama said Tuesday that the Secret Service agents involved in the prostitution scandal in Colombia are "knuckleheads" whose behavior is not characteristic of the Secret Service.
In an interview on the "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," the president said that "99.9 percent" of Secret Service agents put their lives "on the line" every day, according to White House press pool reports.
"They do a great job," Mr. Obama said. "So a couple of knuckleheads shouldn't detract from what they do, but what these guys were thinking, I don't know. That's why they're not there any more."
"The Secret Service - these guys are incredible," he added. "They protect me. They protect Michelle. They protect our girls."
A White House official tells CBS News the president's remarks were not in reaction to today's announcement of disciplinary action by the Secret Service. Mr. Obama taped the show earlier Tuesday.
Mr. Obama also said he has met his presumptive Republican presidential opponent Mitt Romney -- but that they "aren't friends." According to pool reports, the president also called Romney's wife Ann "lovely."
The president and Fallon also talked about student loans and even "slow-jammed the news," a recurring segment on the NBC late night show in which headlines are delivered in the sultry style of a R&B crooner.
"I'm president Barack Obama, and I, too, want to slow-jam the news," Mr. Obama said at one point, according to the pool report.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 96 Comments
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 100 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 101 Comments
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Could the GOP pull an upset in Mass. senate race?