Hotsheet Live: What will matter in November?
(CBS News) CBS News political director John Dickerson was joined on 'Hotsheet Live" on Friday by USA Today's Susan Page, The New York Times' Jeff Zeleny and Scott Conroy of CBS News and Real Clear Politics to break down recent CBS News/New York Times poll that shows the race is a dead heat between President Obama and Mitt Romney.
"This [election] is about the economy," Zeleny said. "We get wrapped up in issues of contraception - this election is not about that, it's not about that."
Page said that the idea of Republicans being a divided party is a non-story.
"[The polls] show nine out of ten Republicans supporting Mitt Romney," Page said. "Whatever they think of Mitt Romney, they know what they think of Barack Obama, that is a huge uniting force for the Republicans."
Conroy reiterated that the election will come down to the economy. "It's important to just keep your eye on the big picture," he said.
Check out Dickerson and the Reporters Roundtable's "endorsements" in the video to the left.
Each panelist concluded with an endorsement about something they have seen or read, including Page's endorsement of the Washington Nationals' 10-4 start.
Real Clear Politics' Scott Conroy: RCP's Washington Editor Carl Cannon's Morning Note
And John's own pick: National Journal's Muncie, Ind. feature titled In Nothing We Trust
Watch the entire discussion, including the panel's predictions for Romney's vice presidential pick, in the video above.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 435 Comments
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 131 Comments
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1204 Comments
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado 89 Comments
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 176 Comments