Rick Santorum's daughter Bella has been hospitalized again
(CBS News) -- Rick Santorum and his wife Karen's three-year-old daughter Bella is back in the hospital, according to a Friday email from his campaign. The release did not detail how serious Bella's condition was, but the child had a rare genetic disorder called Trisomy 18 that claims the lives of most children within a year of birth.
"Rick and his wife Karen have taken their daughter Bella to the hospital. The family requests prayers and privacy as Bella works her way to recovery," said a statement from communications director Hogan Gidley.
Bella Santorum was last hospitalized in January with a case of pneumonia. Santorum left the campaign trail just days before the Florida primary to be with his family near his home in Virginia. She recovered within a few days in what Santorum called a "miraculous turnaround."
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 103 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Obama announces steps toward Guantanamo closure
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 104 Comments
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military