Flash Points: Are Iran and Israel closer to war?
In his weekly CBSNews.com series "Flash Points," CBS News senior national security analyst Juan Zarate discussed escalating tension around Iran with CBS News national security correspondent Bob Orr.
"What you have is a sense that the Israelis are running out of patience and that we may be running out of time before the Iranians shield their nuclear program from the potential of an aerial assault," Zarate said. "The war drums are beating faster and louder with respect to a potential strike on Iran."
Zarate said that as a result of recent Iranian military exercises and the Israelis talking more openly about striking Iran, "we are closer to war."
"Any flash point could launch us into a conflict that we may not want to get into."
Watch the rest of Zarate's analysis of the Iran situation in the video above. In addition to Iran, Zarate and Orr also discussed these "Flash Points":
Syria: Russia and China to the Rescue
Hungary: Europe's Outlier?
Hackers: Ongoing Cyber Rumbles
Follow Zarate on Twitter for more national security updates and to suggest topics for future editions of "Flash Points."
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 258 Comments
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 409 Comments
- Senators: U.S. must take "more decisive" military action in Syria
- Obama renews push for a nuclear disarmament legacy
- GOP Sen. Murkowski backs same-sex marriage