CPAC: Rand Paul to Obama: do you hate rich people?
The Kentucky Republican answered his own questions and concluded that the answer was no -- he just hates some of them.
"The president doesn't really hate all rich people, just those who don't contribute to his campaign," Paul said.
Paul referenced an investor in green energy company Solynda, George Kaiser, who was a campaign contributor to the president. Soylndra received $535 million of government-backed loan guarantees before filing for bankruptcy last year. Republicans in Congress have launched a multi-pronged investigation of Solyndra and are pushing the White House to release additional documents or be issued subpoenas to appear before Congress.
"If you're a crony, if you're a buddy, just stop by the White House," Paul said sarcastically on Thursday.At one point, Paul said he was going to be "serious" and said he doesn't think the president "hates" the wealthy or the poor. "But the president continues to roam the country blaming millionaires and billionaires," Paul said.
Speakers at the conference are focusing their attacks on President Obama, a welcome message among the Republican activists here, most of whom are working to win the White House and Senate and hold on to the House of Representatives this year.
Senator Paul, whose father, Rep. Ron Paul, is a presidential contender, said this year's election is crucial. He invoked the "optimism" of Ronald Reagan, who he said "turned a whole generation of Democrats into Republicans."
Asked Paul: "Who will be that next Ronald Reagan?"
Popular in Politics
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Both parties vow to "get to the bottom" of IRS scandal 90 Comments
- Benghazi-disciplined diplomat a prolific poet
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 246 Comments
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 192 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 193 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"