Romney offers broad estimate of net worth
"Well, you tell me and I'll tell you," Romney joked. To which Ramos replied: "I'm not running for president."
Romney said he understood and referred Ramos to a financial disclosure statement of his assets. "I think the estimate in there was a pretty wide range, it's been widely reported and my net worth is within that number," he said. "It's between 150 and about 200-and-some-odd million dollars, I think that's what the estimates are."
Romney added that "by the way, I didn't inherit that." He said when his parents died, he gave away what they gave him to charity and to his children. "What my wife and I have, we earned," Romney said.
Romney, whose father was born in Mexico, laughed when asked if he could claim to be Mexican-American. He joked that he wouldn't make that claim but "I would appreciate it if you could get that word out."Full CBS News coverage: Mitt Romney
Mitt Romney on the trail
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- The Ted Cruz conundrum
- Petraeus biographer regrets affair
- As summer approaches, sequestration threatens holiday fun
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 200 Comments
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Senator: Oklahoma "hit hard, but we're not knocked out"
- Obama prom pictures surface