Independent group urges Iowans to "vote rogue" - for Palin
An independent group of Iowa Republicans is urging fellow Iowans to "vote rogue" on January 3, and caucus for a candidate who has already declared she isn't running: Sarah Palin.
"Are you unhappy with the current GOP field?" says a narrator in a radio ad. "Let me tell you something, you are not alone. Join thousands of Iowans as we vote rogue. It's the caucus for Sarah Palin on January 3. Let Iowa and the entire country know we want real leadership and real reform in DC. So come on Iowa, vote rogue on January 3!"
The ads are paid for by a group calling itself "Sarah Palin's Iowa Earthquake." In addition to the radio ads, the organization is readying television for the upcoming weekend, according to a Facebook page that appears to represent the group.
Palin flirted for months with the idea of launching a presidential campaign, but announced in October that she would not be doing so.
And while a write-in campaign for the former Alaska governor is very unlikely to succeed - particularly given that she has missed the filing deadline for several states' primaries - it is possible in Iowa, as caucus-goers could just write her name on the list of candidates.
Popular in Politics
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 194 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 359 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups 70 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 422 Comments
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 338 Comments
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare 47 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people