Congressman regrets knocking Michelle Obama's "large posterior"
Fishbowl DC reported yesterday that an unnamed Democratic operative had heard a "very loud" Sensenbrenner, pictured at left, make the comments while talking on the phone in the Delta Crown lounge at Reagan National Airport. The source claimed the Congressmen was relaying a story about his response to a woman who had praised the first lady at a church auction three weeks earlier.
According to the Journal-Sentinel, church members heard Sensenbrenner mocking the first lady's "big butt" at that event on December 10.
Michelle Obama has worked to fight childhood obesity through healthy eating and "let's move" initiatives. According to the Fishbowl DC report, Sensenbrenner suggested on the phone Wednesday that the first lady needs to learn to follow her own advice.
Sensenbrenner spokesperson Amanda Infield told Fishbowl on Thursday that the lawmaker would apologize.
"Mr. Sensenbrenner was referring to the First Lady's healthy food initiative," she said. "He doesn't think the government should be telling Americans what to eat. While he may not agree with all of her initiatives, he plans to contact the First Lady's office to apologize for his comments."
Sensenbrenner, meanwhile, released a statement that he had already sent a note to Mrs. Obama.
"I regret my inappropriate comment and I have sent a personal note to the First Lady apologizing," he said, according to the Journal-Sentinel.
Popular in Politics
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Immigration bill would require fingerprinting at 30 airports
- Top Obama officials knew about IRS probe, says WH
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 684 Comments
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 470 Comments
- Both parties vow to "get to the bottom" of IRS scandal 277 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 211 Comments
- Benghazi-disciplined diplomat a prolific poet