Fact Check: Palin Seems to Misrepresent Timeline on Daughter's Pregnancy
On page 214 of her memoir "Going Rogue," Sarah Palin writes the following in regard to when the McCain campaign knew about her daughter Bristol's pregnancy:
"I was impressed with these guys. They were thorough. For example, they already knew that Bristol was pregnant, a development that I thought only loved ones were privy to at the time."
Yet Palin should have known the campaign was aware of the pregnancy by that point: She told the campaign's vice presidential vetters as much, in writing, far before she was chosen to be John McCain's running mate.
Palin and the other vice presidential short-listers were asked to fill out a written questionnaire during the vetting the process, according to a "senior official close to the vetting process" who talked to reporters on September 2nd, 2008.
Palin revealed Bristol's pregnancy on this written questionnaire, adding that she wanted to discuss the pregnancy orally with the campaign, according to the campaign official.
A written report, which included info about the pregnancy, was presented to campaign manager Rick Davis as well as McCain before the campaign flew Palin down for the meeting she describes on Page 214.
More Coverage of Sarah Palin's Book:
Palin Contradicts Her Own Version Of Events With Oprah
Exclusive: Palin Accounts Disputed by McCain Aides
Democrats Give Mixed Reactions to Sarah Palin Buzz
Sarah Palin: I Was "Annoyed" by Katie Couric's Newspaper Question
Bob Schieffer on Palin: No Future in Politics
Palin Book Roils Former McCain Aides
Palin "Vindictiveness" in Her New Book?
Sarah Palin's Book: The Fact Check
Palin Publicity Blitz Full Speed Ahead
Steve Chaggaris is CBS News' Political Director. You can read more of his posts in Hotsheet here.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 430 Comments
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 124 Comments
- Senate committee approves immigration bill
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 170 Comments
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado 85 Comments
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1195 Comments
- Former IRS chief: "I can't say" what led to IRS targeting
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack