Elementary School Students Taught Pro-Obama Songs
In the video at left, students at New Jersey's B. Bernice Young Elementary School are shown singing about the president, in one case to the tune of "Jesus Loves the Little Children," according to Fox News.
The video was posted at the conservative Drudge Report and reported by Fox, prompting hundreds of comments from readers such as this one: "These thugs need to be shut down! This is absurde [sic] that this is happening today in our schools. People need to rise up and crush this socializing and indoctrination of our kids."
The anger over the video is reminiscent of complaints over the president's speech to students on the importance of working hard and staying in school, which was initially accompanied by a lesson plan encouraging students to think about how they could help Mr. Obama.
Some conservatives objected to the president's address being shown to their children and it wasn't shown in some districts.
Update, 3:50 p.m. ET: Fox is reporting that Christopher M. Manno, the superintendent of Burlington Township School District, issued a statement to parents saying the students were singing the song "to honor the contributions of African Americans to our country" in conjunction with February's Black History Month.
He also wrote that the recording and distribution of the songs was not authorized by the district.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 438 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 395 Comments
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor 115 Comments
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- Will tornado relief funding escape politics?
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 216 Comments
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 257 Comments