Cindy Sheehan Protests Obama's Vacation
Anti-War protestor Cindy Sheehan, the so-called "Peace Mom" who rose to fame several years ago when she protested against the Iraq War outside former President Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch, was back at it again this week.
(AP Photo/Jerry Larson)
But this time she was protesting President Obama's vacation in Martha's Vineyard.
"The reason I am here is because ... even though the facade has changed in Washington D.C., the policies are still the same," Sheehan said, according to AFP, at a rally/press conference outside the school where the press has set up shop on the island off the coast of Massachusetts.
But Sheehan no longer has the following she once had, when thousands joined her in Crawford and across the country. As CBS News White House producer Robert Hendin reports, there were was only a handful of people in her audience yesterday, in addition to the four speakers. There were more present from the media than there were protestors.
According to AFP, Sheehan said she was protesting Mr. Obama's continuation of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. She reiterated that she did not support Mr. Obama during the campaign last year. (She also ran as an independent against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and won 16 percent of the vote.)
"We are here to make the wars unpopular again," Sheehan said.
And she added this: "Martha's Vineyard is a lot nicer than Crawford, Texas."
Photo Essay: Obama's Vacation
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 82 Comments
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 88 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 90 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong"