Report: Edwards to Admit Fathering Ex-Mistress' Child
Former North Carolina Senator and Democratic Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate John Edwards is expected to admit that he is the father of the 18-month-old daughter of former mistress Rielle Hunter, sources tell CBS affiliate WRAL.
Edwards acknowledged the affair last summer but has previously denied that he fathered the child, whose name is Frances.
As WRAL notes, longtime Edwards aide Andrew Young initially claimed paternity but is now writing a book in which he will say Edwards is the girl's actual father.
Hunter testified last week at the federal courthouse where a grand jury is investigating whether campaign funds were illegally used to buy her silence.
The sources told WRAL Edwards could acknowledge paternity before the investigation concludes.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 82 Comments
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 88 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 90 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong"