Hillary Clinton Cancels Trips After Elbow Injury
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has canceled her plans to attend international meetings in Italy and Greece due to an elbow injury suffered last Wednesday, the Associated Press reports.
(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
Clinton fell and broke her right elbow in the basement of the State Department while on her way to the White House last week. All of her appointments were canceled for last Thursday and she underwent surgery this past Friday.
According to the Associated Press, Deputy Secretary of States James Steinberg told reporters that he will be leading the U.S. delegation for the meetings in Corfu, Greece, with top envoys from NATO countries and Russia.
William Burns, the undersecretary of state for political affairs, will represent the U.S. during a meeting of Group of Eight foreign ministers in Trieste, Italy.
These are not the first meetings Clinton has missed since her injury. Last Thursday, Clinton was supposed to join film star Angelina Jolie at an event for World Refugee Day and present awards at the American Foreign Service.
Clinton successfully underwent two-hour surgery at George Washington University Hopsital and "remains fully engaged," according to spokesperson Ian Kelly, reports Bloomberg.
Popular in Politics
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities
- Senators: U.S. must take "more decisive" military action in Syria 79 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 248 Comments
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows
- Obama renews push for a nuclear disarmament legacy
- GOP Sen. Murkowski backs same-sex marriage
- Bill Ayers: Obama should be tried for war crimes