Campaign-Style Ad Supporting Sotomayor Released
A consortium of liberal groups called the Coalition for Constitutional Values has released a campaign-style ad in support of President Obama's Supreme Court nominee, Sonia Sotomayor.
(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
The 30-second spot features audio of the president discussing what he seeks in a nominee as Sotomayor's accomplishments and biography appear onscreen, along with photos of the judge.
The accomplishments listed as the president speaks of seeking "someone with a sharp and independent mind" include the fact that Sotomayor was first appointed by George H.W. Bush, a Republican president.
As Mr. Obama is heard saying he wants someone who understands that justice is about "how our laws affect the daily realities of peoples' lives," it is noted that Sotomayor's father died when she was nine years old.
The spot goes on to call Sotomayor principled and fair-minded and say she is "keeping faith with our Constitutional values." It will run on national network news and cable news beginning today, according to the coalition, at a six-figure cost. Watch it below.
- Liberals Concerned About Sotomayor's Abortion Views
- W.H. Urged To Address "Racist" Charge
- Who Could Lose In A Confirmation Vote?
- Rigorous Questioning Hasn't Fazed Nominee
- Battle Lines Form Over High Court Pick
- Limbaugh, Gingrich: Sotomayor Is "Racist"
- Ad Supporting Sotomayor Released
- Declan McCullagh: Gun Rights Groups Are Wary Of Sotomayor
- Former Clerk: Sotomayor's A "Legal Purist"
- Sotomayor Unites Disparate Hispanic Groups
- WhiteHouse.gov Transparency? Not In Supreme Court Pick
- Declan McCullagh: Nomination Renews Abortion Debate
- Jeff Greenfield: A Political Matter
- Mark Knoller: How Obama Picked Sotomayor
- Steve Chaggaris: Obama Pick Leaves GOP In Difficult Spot
- Obama Taps Sonia Sotomayor For High Court
- Sonio Sotomayor's Biography
- Early GOP Reaction
- Full Text: Obama And Sotomayor's Comments
- Do Judges "Make Policy"?
- Sotomayor - A Three-Part Harmony
- The First Day Of The Rest Of Her Life
- When Worlds Collide - Prop 8 and Sotomayor
- More CourtWatch
- Obama And Sotomayor
- Sotomayor A Hometown Hero
- Will She Get The Job?
- Sotomayor In Depth
- Analysis: Bob Schieffer | Wyatt Andrews | Andrew Cohen | John Dickerson
- Photo Essay: Sonia Sotomayor
- Timeline Of Sotomayor's Life
Andrew Cohen's CourtWatch Blog
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 127 Comments
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1201 Comments
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado 86 Comments
- IRS scandal highlights leadership vacancies