Obama Ribs Holder Over Basketball Skills
At the installation ceremony this morning for Attorney General Eric Holder, President Obama lavished praise on his choice, but also poked some good-natured fun at him. The president said Holder never hesitates to take on members of his own party, including those to whom he owed his job.
(AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)
"In fact," said Mr. Obama, "several months ago, Eric even had the audacity to comment to a reporter on my basketball skills. He said - and I quote - here's what he said. He said, "I'm not sure he's ready for my New York game. We will see about that, Mr. Attorney General."
The audience roared with laughter at the swipe.
After taking the oath of office, Holder interrupted his own remarks to respond.
"Let me just depart here and say that he's never gonna see my New York game," he said. "He's got ten years on me. He works out. I'm the coach of the team in which he will be playing and nothing more than that. (laughter). But had I been ten years younger ....."
He didn't finish that sentence - again to roars of laughter from the audience.
Mark Knoller is a CBS News White House correspondent. You can read more of his posts in Hotsheet here.
Popular in Politics
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 238 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 307 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 383 Comments
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 259 Comments
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 226 Comments
- FBI seeks anonymous source behind Menendez allegations