Focus Group Rates Obama's Answers
As President Obama gobbled up an hour of primetime television real estate Tuesday night with a press conference, CBS News gathered a few dozen participants to rate his performance word by word.
(AP Photo/Ron Edmonds)
Not surprisingly, Republicans in the group, gathered in a room in Las Vegas, had mostly negative reactions to the president's answers while Democrats were generally positive.
Mr. Obama, however, earned bipartisan praise for his response to a question over his delayed reaction to news of AIG bonus payments: "It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.
However, the mere mention of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner produced a "decided dip" in support amongst viewers.
For more on the focus group's reactions, watch CBS News correspondent John Blackstone's report:
Full Coverage Of Obama's Press Conference:
- By Topic: Budget | AIG Outrage | Tax Increases | Race | Mexican Drug Cartels | Israel | Funding For Veterans | Sacrifice
- Full Transcript
- Fact Check: Obama Having It Both Ways?
- Analysis: Philosophy Of Persistence | Grades From Marc Ambinder | Instant Reaction | Focus Group Weighs In
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- The Ted Cruz conundrum 83 Comments
- Petraeus biographer regrets affair
- As summer approaches, sequestration threatens holiday fun
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 201 Comments
- Senator: Oklahoma "hit hard, but we're not knocked out"
- Senators lack votes on immigration despite progress
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms