Day 15: Obama Takes Stimulus Fight To Public As Nominees Drop Out
On his fifteenth day in office, President Obama undertook a media blitz to convince Americans that his stimulus package deserves their support.
(AP Photo/Ron Edmonds)
"We have to act. We have to act now," the president told CBS News' Katie Couric.
"Now that doesn't mean that the package can't improved and that's what I said to the leadership last night," he continued. "Let's improve it. Let's make this a package that is big enough for the moment."
The president also faced down fallout over the withdrawal of two of his choices for key government positions, including Health and Human Services pick Tom Daschle, for tax-related reasons.
Watch Couric's interview of Obama and CBS Evening News reporting on Daschle and more below:
Popular in Politics
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 235 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 307 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 383 Comments
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 259 Comments
- FBI seeks anonymous source behind Menendez allegations
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 226 Comments