Did Obama Skip Bush's Speech?
As his predecessor, President Bush, said his final goodbyes to America on national television, President-elect Barack Obama and his wife Michelle dined at the DC restaurant, Equinox Thursday night.
CBS News' Maria Gavrilovic, who waited outside the restaurant, reports that there is no indication whether or not Mr. Obama was watching President Bush's farewell remarks.
The President-elect departed the Blair house, located right across the street from the White House podium from which the president spoke, minutes before President Bush commenced.
A host at the restaurant tells CBS News' that the President-elect stopped by the only television in the high end establishment, a small screen at the bar, and watched for "a minute or two." The source said he did not notice what Mr. Obama was watching but that "no" it was not for an extended period of time.
No one from Obama's transition team has responded to CBS News' inquiries as to whether he was watching the address.
CBS News' Bill Plante describes Equinox as, "a sophisticated new American food from award-winning chef Todd Grey and a clientele of Washington insiders."
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 154 Comments
- Next up for Obama: Major effort on climate change
- Michelle Obama and daughters tour Berlin Play Video
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities 77 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 598 Comments
- The 4 remaining Supreme Court cases to watch
- IRS scandal: Is partisanship overshadowing facts?