Conyers Tries To Drum Up Opposition To Gupta For Surgeon General
The Huffington Post reports that influential Democratic Rep. John Conyers has written a letter to his House colleagues urging them to oppose the nomination of Dr. Sanjay Gupta for Surgeon General.
President-elect Obama's outside-the-box selection of Gupta , a CBS News medical contributor and CNN's chief medical correspondent, has been praised in many circles, but Conyers insists Gupta "lacks the requisite experience needed to oversee the federal agency that provides crucial health care assistance."
Conyers urged his colleagues to sign a letter to Mr. Obama imploring him not to nominate Gupta. The Michigan Democrat cited concerns about Gupta that have been voiced by New York Times columnist Paul Krugman and Gerard M. Farrel, Executive Director of the Commissioned Officers Association.
But as the Huffington Post notes, no senator who would vote to confirm Gupta has spoken critically of his nomination.
Popular in Politics
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 167 Comments
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 327 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 346 Comments
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 262 Comments
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 243 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 416 Comments