Romney gives press the slip at Trump meeting
Donald Trump and Mitt Romney huddled for about an hour in midtown. Romney slipped out a side door, however, avoiding reporters and his campaign left it to the Trump camp to characterize the conversation.
While the talk between the two businessmen mostly focused on the economy, the deficit, jobs and China, the two also spoke about their personal lives and children, including Trump progeny Ivanka and Eric -- and a surprise guest appeared. Trump's wife, Melania, popped into the meeting "by coincidence", according to Trump spokesman Michael Cohen. "It was a lot of fun to say the least."
Cohen said the two men may have crossed paths before, but have not met since Romney announced his candidacy for 2012.
Next on Trump's presidential interview schedule: Florida Straw Poll winner Herman Cain. The two agreed Friday to meet in New York on Oct. 3. Trump has met with a number of presidential hopefuls, most of whom set up their appointments weeks ahead of time -- Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry and Mitt Romney. He also held meetings with Mike Huckabee, a 2008 contender who decided not to make the race, and Sarah Palin, the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, who has still not decided whether to get into the race.
Romney's campaign appeared to be trying to create a distraction to minimize press attention to the meeting. While Trump and the GOP presidential candidate were conferring, a Romney aide fretted and paced up and down the street, intimating to reporters that Romney had still not arrived, and was running late.
Popular in Politics
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Both parties vow to "get to the bottom" of IRS scandal 261 Comments
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 143 Comments
- Benghazi-disciplined diplomat a prolific poet
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 250 Comments
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 412 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 207 Comments
- Immigration bill would require fingerprinting at 30 airports