Sarah Palin movie to debut in Iowa on Tuesday
"The Undefeated" will debut at the 111-year-old Pella Opera House in Pella, Iowa on June 28 - just one day after Palin's potential rival in the presidential race, Rep. Michele Bachmann, holds an event to formally kick off her presidential campaign in Waterloo, Iowa. Waterloo is roughly two hours away from Pella. (Oddly enough, Palin herself was in New Hampshire when Mitt Romney announced his campaign in that state.)
The documentary will be released more widely on July 15th, but Iowans are getting a sneak preview in a screening seemingly designed to spur interest in a Palin presidential candidacy. (Palin says she is undecided on a run.) The former Alaska governor and GOP vice presidential nominee has no formal involvement with the film, but SarahPAC treasurer Tim Crawford said Palin "thought it was great."
CBS News political correspondent Jan Crawford, who has seen the full documentary, describes it as "an unabashed defense of the former Alaska governor that leaves the distinct impression her presidential candidacy not only is possible, but inevitable."
The first hour of the movie focuses on Palin's half term as Alaska governor, while the second looks at her time as the vice presidential nominee. It traces her political rise and battles with oil companies and the GOP establishment, and delves into her accomplishments as governor and experiences on the national stage.
"If you like Sarah Palin, the movie will make you like her even more," Crawford wrote after seeing the film. "Using never-before seen video, it shows Palin taking on the machine and winning, while racking up whopping 80 percent approval ratings in the state."
"But if you don't like Sarah Palin, the movie is unlikely to change your mind," Crawford continues. "You'll probably think of it as a one-sided campaign ad and wonder where the critics are."
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 148 Comments
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 259 Comments
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows 82 Comments
- Next up for Obama: Major effort on climate change
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 596 Comments
- IRS readying to pay $70M in employee bonuses, senator says
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO