Boehner: "Retirees are gonna be taken care of"
House Speaker John Boehner told CBS News Friday that "there's no ifs, ands or buts" about whether America will take care of its retirees.
But if Medicare is not reformed, he added, "senior benefits are gonna get cut."
"Why? Because they're unaffordable," the Ohio Republican said. "That's why we have to deal with this. And we need to deal with it now."
The government reported Friday that the Medicare hospital insurance fund will be exhausted in 2024.
Boehner made the comments during an interview with Harry Smith at the Capitol for CBS' "Face the Nation." The full interview will be broadcast Sunday.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 141 Comments
- IRS scandal highlights leadership vacancies
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1001 Comments
- Former IRS chief: "I can't say" what led to IRS targeting
- Top Obama officials knew about IRS probe, says WH
- Letter to a young scandalmonger