George W. Bush cancels appearance over Julian Assange's presence
Former President George W. Bush has canceled a scheduled speaking appearance at the YPO Global Leadership Summit after learning that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange was invited to address the same summit, his spokesperson said today.
Mr. Bush's spokesman David Sherzer said in a statement that Mr. Bush accepted an invitation to speak at the Denver summit six months ago. The former president was slated to speak at the event tomorrow.
"This week, upon learning that Julian Assange had recently been invited to address the same summit, President Bush decided to cancel his appearance," Sherzer said. "The former president has no desire to share a forum with a man who has willfully and repeatedly done great harm to the interests of the United States."
Popular in Politics
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 674 Comments
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- House passes GOP bill to speed Keystone XL pipeline approval
- Obama to view Oklahoma tornado damage Sunday
- Former Miss America might challenge McConnell
- WH says criticism of its handling of IRS story is "legitimate"
- Amid scrutiny of commerce pick, White House confident about her fate