William M. Daley Contender for Chief of Staff
He met with President Obama in December and spoke with him on the phone at least once more last month.
Mr. Obama has considered several candidates in total. The only other leading candidate is interim chief of staff Pete Rouse who doesn't really want the job.
Why Daley? A Democrat briefed by the White House Monday night says that Mr. Obama figures that because adding jobs to the economy is his top priority, he needs someone with close ties to the American business community and recognizes that no one advising him now really commands the respect that Daley would.
Mr. Obama picked Rahm Emanuel in part because of Emanuel's congressional know-how. Because Republicans in Congress won't help the president much, Mr. Obama doesn't need a chief of staff who can finesse that branch of government.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 430 Comments
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 124 Comments
- Senate committee approves immigration bill
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 170 Comments
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado 85 Comments
- Former IRS chief: "I can't say" what led to IRS targeting
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1193 Comments
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack