Incoming GOP Freshmen to Hold $2,500 "Swearing-In" Party
Tickets for the Jan. 4 event reportedly sold for $2,500 a pop, and the singer LeAnn Rimes is scheduled to perform for the guests. Interested parties were also invited to become a "Platinum Sponsor" - for $50,000. (The "Platinum Sponsor" package apparently includes eight tickets to the event, a "VIP lunch," and a "VIP suite" at the W.)
The group hosting the party is a recently-formed joint fundraising committee called "America's New Majority," which, according to the event's invitation, is "authorized and composed of" 13 political campaign organizations. (According to the website "Political Party Time," a project of the nonpartisan government transparency group the Sunlight Foundation, Rep.-elect Jeff Denham, R-Calif., appears to have founded the committee.)
About half of the participating members are associated with the Tea Party, Political Party Time reports.
The invitation also advertises "invited guests" John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Kevin McCarthy and Pete Sessions, but it is unclear whether or not those Congressmen will actually be in attendance.
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 184 Comments
- Petraeus biographer regrets affair
- Obama prom pictures surface 131 Comments
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Pelosi ties bridge collapse to sequester
- Palin Image: Confident, Secure Play Video
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 293 Comments