WikiLeaks Congressional Hearing Set for Dec. 16
The House Judiciary Committee will hold a Dec. 16 hearing on the potential application of U.S. espionage laws in relation to WikiLeaks, the committee announced on Friday, marking the first such hearing to address the website's recent release of classified U.S. diplomatic cables.
The meeting, officially entitled the "Hearing on the Espionage Act and the Legal and Constitutional Issues Raised by WikiLeaks," will address how espionage laws can be updated and effectively implemented in the digital era, MSNBC reports.
As WikiLeaks continues to release thousands of classified U.S. documents, the American government has wrestled with finding an effective and legal means of prosecution - particularly as the espionage laws, which were passed under the Espionage Act in 1917, have few contingencies for dealing with the complex, quickly-evolving nature of contemporary digital security threats.WikiLeaks' last stand? Week in Review
WikiLeaks CableGate Live Updates: December 10
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is currently being held without bail in a UK prison under charges of sexual assault against two Swedish women.
In an interview with ABC News this morning, a lawyer for Assange said that an American indictment against her client was forthcoming.
While Justice Department officials say an indictment is not imminent, Attorney General Eric Holder has repeatedly said DOJ lawyers are working on building a case.
The Judiciary Committee has not yet announced a list of witnesses for the hearings.
Popular in Politics
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 532 Comments
- Obama to view Oklahoma tornado damage Sunday
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor 118 Comments
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test 68 Comments
- Va. GOP candidate won't apologize for comments on abortion, gays
- Former Miss America might challenge McConnell