New Linda McMahon Ad Calls Richard Blumenthal a Liar over Vietnam Claims
Connecticut Republican Senate candidate Linda McMahon is going on the attack in a new campaign ad that brings up Democrat Richard Blumenthal's claims that he served in Vietnam.
The ad shows Blumenthal at two different events in 2003 and 2008 claiming that he served in Vietnam.
"We have learned something very important since the days I served in Vietnam," said Blumenthal in a speech in 2008. Blumenthal admitted earlier this year that he misspoke in speeches where he claimed he was "in" Vietnam (he served in the military stateside during the Vietnam War).
Blumenthal's campaign survived the initial firestorm in May after the revelations about his past statements. But his large lead in polls over McMahon has shrunk to single digits as of late. CBS News puts the race in the category of "Democratic Edge" meaning Blumenthal has an edge to win the seat held the seat currently held by retiring Democratic Sen. Chris Dodd.
The ad's release comes just in time for the candidates' first debate Monday night in Hartford, Conn.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 103 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Obama announces steps toward Guantanamo closure
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 104 Comments
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military