Vacationing President Obama Goes Golfing With Mayor Michael Bloomberg
Also joining the foursome: Democratic power broker Vernon Jordan and White House trip director Marvin Nicholson.
"We are told Bloomberg and Obama talked in the clubhouse for about 15 mins about the economy," a pool report said. "They then went to the driving range and are about to begin their round." The president earlier in the day went on a bike ride with daughter Malia. (See at left.)
As of today, according to CBS News White House correspondent and unofficial White House statistician Mark Knoller, the president has played 49 rounds of golf since taking office, including five times on this vacation. That does not include a round of mini-golf he played earlier this month with daughter Sasha.
President George W Bush played 24 rounds of golf during the first two and a half years of his presidency and then stopped, feeling it was inappropriate for the Commander-in-Chief to be seen playing golf while the nation was at war in Iraq and Afghanistan. His last game of golf as president was on Oct 13, 2003.
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c|
"When I went to school, we studied the Constitution," he told Stewart. "It says you have a right to say what you want to say, which means pray to whomever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. And it's just not the government's business to tell you what to say."
"That's what great about America," he continued. "And people say, well, in Saudi Arabia you can't build a church. Yes. That's the difference between Saudi Arabia and America. And I, it's just plain and simple that. Whether you like the mosque or don't like the mosque, you don't have to go. There's already another mosque down there within four block of the World Trade Center. There's porno places, there's fast-food places. I mean, it's a vibrant community. It's New York."
Popular in Politics
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 321 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 345 Comments
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 150 Comments
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 262 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 409 Comments
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 242 Comments