Mark Sanford Reunites with Argentine Mistress Maria Belen Chapur in Florida
After becoming embroiled in scandal last year as a result of his affair with an Argentinean woman, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford acknowledged today that he reunited with her this past weekend.
Sanford told reporters that he met with Maria Belen Chapur in Florida to see if they could restart their relationship, the Associated Press reports. The Republican governor would not reportedly say whether this was the first time he had seen Chapur since publicly admitting to the relationship.
The governor was compelled last summer to reveal the relationship after he mysteriously disappeared for five days. His office initially said he was hiking the Appalachian Trail, but he was, in fact, visiting his mistress in Argentina.
Sanford, who has reached his term limit, will leave office in January.
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 142 Comments
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities 71 Comments
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story"
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 481 Comments
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows 80 Comments
- GOP Sen. Murkowski backs same-sex marriage
- Obama renews push for a nuclear disarmament legacy