Sue Lowden Stands by Chicken Health Care Barter Plan
"I mean, that's the old days of what people would do to get health care with your doctors," she said. "Doctors are very sympathetic people. I'm not backing down from that system."
The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee subsequently set up a "Chickens for Checkups" website offering a fake form letter in which people could offer items in exchange for health care - 10 chickens for rickets treatment, five sets of overalls for "the vapors," etc.
The letter sarcastically concludes: "Thanks for coming up with such a simple solution to a complicated problem!" Jay Leno also mocked Lowden's suggestion.
Many expected Lowden, who is hoping to take on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the general election, to back off the comments. Instead, she is standing by them.
Lowden spokesperson Chrystal Feldman told The Plum Line's Greg Sargent that "Americans are struggling to pay for their health care, and in order to afford coverage we must explore all options available to drive costs down."
"Bartering with your doctor is not a new concept," said Feldman. "There have been numerous reports as to how negotiating with your doctor is an option and doctors have gone on the record verifying this."
The Lowden campaign also pointed Sargent to a letter to a Nevada newspaper from a rural doctor who said "I can state from personal experience that bartering works."
"I have bartered with patients -- for alfalfa hay, a bath tub, yard work and horse shoeing in exchange for my care," said Dr. Robin L. Titus, a former Republican candidate for Senate who ended her campaign three months ago.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 438 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 278 Comments
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor 111 Comments
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test 69 Comments
- Will tornado relief funding escape politics?
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 215 Comments
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- Va. GOP candidate won't apologize for comments on abortion, gays