Bart Stupak to Retire
Michigan Rep. Bart Stupak, the congressman who led anti-abortion rights Democrats in the House during health care negotiations, will retire this year, CBS News has learned. He is expected to announce his plans later today.
Had Stupak sought re-election, he would have faced challengers from both the left and the right backed by interest groups angered by Stupak's health care vote.
Stupak negotiated with Democratic leaders down to the eleventh hour for stricter abortion language in the health care bill, but he ultimately voted for it after President Obama agreed to sign an executive order assuring the new laws will keep taxpayer dollars from funding abortions.
That prompted the conservative Tea Party Express to launch a $250,000 ad campaign against Stupak this week. The group also scheduled a handful of stops on its bus tour in Stupak's district.
On the left, the abortion rights group NARAL Pro-Choice America has been working to defeat Stupak and instead elect his Democratic primary challenger Connie Saltonstall.
Like many other congressmen, Stupak received violent threats from citizens after his health care vote. However, the Michigan Democrat came under particularly intense scrutiny because of his role in the abortion debate.Stupak Faces Heat from All Sides; Could He Decide Not to Run for Re-Election?
Bart Stupak Received Threatening Messages for Health Care Vote (Listen)
"Baby Killer" Mystery: Who Shouted At Stupak?
Stupak's Life a "Living Hell" because of Abortion Position
Popular in Politics
- FBI: Surveillance info helped reveal subway, stock exchange bombings 207 Comments
- Jesse Jackson Jr. asks to serve jail sentence before wife
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows
- Snowden: U.S. gov't destroyed my chance for fair trial 288 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions
- IRS scandal: Is partisanship overshadowing facts? 173 Comments
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story"
- Treasury secretary's loopy signature is now less loopy