Hong Kong customs seizes $98M worth of cocaine
Head of Customs Drug Investigation Bureau John Lee displays the cubes of cocaine at the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department in Hong Kong Friday, July 6, 2012. / AP Photo/Kin Cheung
(AP) HONG KONG - Hong Kong customs officers announced Friday that they have made the city's biggest ever cocaine bust, seizing 649 kilograms (1,430 pounds) of the drug worth 76 million Hong Kong dollars ($98 million).
The drugs were in a shipping container that arrived at Hong Kong's port from Ecuador, said John Lee, head of the Customs Drug Investigation Bureau. He said he believed most of the shipment was destined for Southeast Asia or mainland China.
Watch: Drug bust at peaceful church
Report: Packers Super Bowl ring turns up in drug bust
"Speed Dial": Meth dealer, supplier arrested, sent us drug texts, say Calif. cops
Watch: Huge cocaine bust in Panama
The container was one of a batch that the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration had flagged to Hong Kong officials for further inspection. Customs officers discovered the drugs after they followed the shipment when it was driven Wednesday from the port to a collection point in Hong Kong's rural New Territories, where it was picked up by two men that authorities believe are members of a local drug syndicate.
When they inspected the shipment, officers found 541 bricks of cocaine, each weighing about 1.2 kilograms, hidden in a shipment of laurel wood.
The driver and the two men were arrested.
Lee said Hong Kong's customs department has been working with the DEA and South American law enforcement agencies this year to combat drug trafficking.
The seizure tops a haul last year of 560 kilograms of cocaine worth about $77 million found in a suburban warehouse. Five Mexicans and a Colombian were among the eight people arrested in that case.
On Tuesday, customs officers arrested a man arriving at the airport from Sao Paulo, Brazil, after they discovered 1.9 kilograms of cocaine hidden in specially made underwear and shoes he was wearing.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 13 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Italy top court cites "erotic game" hypothesis in Knox case 84 Comments
- Torrential rain devastates Northern India 15 Photos
- Egypt and Ethiopia try to roll back threats of war
- Protesters clash with Brazil police in Sao Paulo
- Hungary indicts 98-year-old for Nazi war crimes
- Basement living in China 6 Photos