Iran: We can attack U.S. interests "anywhere"
The Iranian ambassador to Russia reportedly said Wednesday that his country has the means to attack U.S. interests "anywhere in the world."
Ambassador Seyed Mahmoud-Reza Sajjadi told reporters in Moscow that it would only exercise such capability if attacked by the United States, according to the Reuters news agency.
"The Americans know what kind of country Iran is. They are well aware of our people's unity," Sajjadi said. "And that's why Iran is fully able to deliver retaliatory strikes on the United States anywhere in the world."
Tensions between the two nations have grown increasingly tense with Iran continuing to deny that it's pursuing weapons from its nuclear program. Iran's threats to close the Strait of Hormuz, a major oil shipping lane, and to attack Israel have also contributed those tensions.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Mexico's drug war 20 Photos
- U.K. official: London attack suspects probed before
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- Tokyo's rockabilly scene 16 Photos
- Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack 252 Comments
- London soldier slaying homegrown Islamic extremism?
- Slain London soldier was 25-year-old drummer, father
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack